5.03.2013

Day Three: Uncomfortable

Cardigan: Target Skirt: Old Navy Flats: Payless Necklace: Suuuper old...Target, maybe?

Today's topic for the Blog Every Day in May challenge is to discuss something that makes you uncomfortable.  I know that I feel uncomfortable about many things, but I had a hard time with this post.  I decided that rather than writing a lot about one thing, I'd make a little list about the things that make me feel uncomfortable.

  • Wearing pants.  I've written about my general disdain for pants and how they make me feel, but wearing pants/shorts/capris make me feel physically uncomfortable.
  • Being around drunk people.  True confession: I've never been drunk.  I have consumed alcohol (and love a good hard cider...mmm), but never enough to get drunk.  I personally don't see the appeal - it's expensive, it's a lot of empty calories, most alcohol doesn't taste good, I don't like the feeling of being out of control, I want to remember everything I've done, I hate throwing up, and hangovers do not sound fun.  I have been around plenty of drunk people before, and honestly, I don't really find them all that funny or entertaining.  They're either loud and obnoxious, angry and obnoxious, sullen and obnoxious, or obnoxiously crying.  I've seen too many people do things while drunk that make me embarrassed for them to think it's "cool."  With some recovering alcoholics in my family and circle of friends, I understand how dangerous alcohol can be, and when I see drunk people, it reminds me of the pain my family members and friends have gone through with their alcoholic loved ones.  [Related side note: It also makes me super uncomfortable when adults get drunk regularly and think every social gathering is an excuse to drink.]
  • Watching sex scenes in movies with your parents or in-laws.  I'm not sure I need to really explain more about this.  I should say, however, that it is also pretty uncomfortable when your grandma asks you to explain to her what anal beads are and won't let it go until you do...or when the same grandma takes you to see Zoolander when you're in 7th grade, and asks you during this scene (scroll to 1:04) if you know what an erection is...
  • Admitting that I'm wrong.  I like to be right about things, and I oftentimes am right about things (it's a part of my Myers Briggs personality type).  So, whenever I am wrong, it is awkward and difficult to admit that I'm wrong.  I can't really think of any examples right now off the top of my head, but just know that admitting that I'm wrong is super hard for me.  Maybe it's a pride thing, I don't know.
  • Developing an adult relationship with family members.  Please tell me I'm not alone in this??  As I've gotten older, I've definitely grown and changed.  I'm not the same person I was when I was young (some things have stayed the same, but some things have absolutely shifted), but I sometimes think it is hard for my family to see that.  I don't need a mommy and a daddy anymore, but I still want my parents in my life.  I want to be seen as independent and successful, but I also want to know that my family is there if I need help.  I want to have adult conversations with family, and I want my extended family to acknowledge that I am an adult who is married, has a real job, has been living independently for years, and knows how to take care of myself.  This is a topic that I've actually talked about a lot with my counselors in the past - how to navigate this shifting relationship, and what I can do to make it more comfortable for me, but also  so that my family still knows that they are important in my life.  Have any of you experienced this, too??
Whew.

I'm also linking up with Marissa for the last day of her and Heidi's Pantone Color Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment