5.04.2013

Day Four: Be the change...

Today's prompt for the Blog Every Day in May challenge is to write about a favorite quote and why you love it.


This is one of my favorite quotes: "Be the change you wish to see in the world..."  I remember the first time I heard it.  I was in junior high, and it just struck me.  I was not really in tune to the world around me at the time - everything was centered around school, music, boys, friends, and Nsync.  I remember having to read the quote to myself a few times in order to fully understand its scope.  When it did finally hit me, it really stayed with me.

As I got older and started to pay attention to injustices and inequalities, I would get really upset with certain things, people, etc.  This quote reminds me that if I want the world to be a better, more peaceful, more equal place, I must fight to make it so.  I can't just sit around and whine about the things that bother me; I need to step up and change them myself.

I was at Kohls about four years ago, and I found this quote on a ring.  I bought it, and have worn it most days since then.  It's a constant reminder for me to make this world better.  Even though I am just one person and I may seem insignificant, if I can impact just one person, that's enough for me.


This quote is in the forefront in my mind in many capacities.  As an aspiring school counselor, I want to  change the lives of the students I work with and make their realities a little sunnier.  As a feminist, I want to do my part to make the work a better place for women.  As an LGBT ally, I want to help educate those around me to more fully understand the LGBT community and learn to accept and embrace all individuals.  Like I said earlier, if I want to make the world a better place, I need to take action to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment